Monday, 7 April 2014

My Writing Process

 Friend and writer, Suz deMello has invited me to talk about my writing process. As I am in a state of transition at present, I have changed some of my methods - and certainly my sub-genre - so, with a little trepidation, here goes:

1. What am I working on? 

I am putting the final touches to a paranormal romance novella called, Freya's Choice. This story has seen a total redraft just recently, as a result of some very helpful feedback from a publisher who has expressed interest. I hope I have followed their guidelines sufficiently but only time will tell.
 

To give you a flavour of the story:


Nothing much happens in Abbey St. Francis, but Freya’s about to change all that…

Betrayed by a former husband, Eve Lawson is scared of her feelings for the gorgeous, hunky farmer, Mark Latimer. All she needs is a little more time, but when the beautiful, enigmatic Freya sweeps into the village, suddenly nothing is as it was. All around her, people are behaving strangely, and when Freya decides she wants Mark, Eve is forced to accept that she’s in love with him and will do anything to win him back – even if it means taking on the most powerful goddess of them all.

 

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
Possibly in the settings. Seducing Amanda was set in an old English rambling house. Vienna Valentine is set in - well - Vienna. These two are highly erotic stories and, in the case of Seducing Amanda, I don't tie up all the loose ends which was deliberate on my part. I accept, is a tad unusual for its genre. I've been criticised for it - and I've also been praised. I do like to leave the reader to use their imagination a bit. I think people appreciate the chance to decide some things for themselves. 



Having said that, Freya's Choice is more traditional. It doesn't come complete with highly explicit sexual scenes and does tie everything up neatly at the end. Not that I'm telling you what the ending is!

3. Why do I write what I do?
Simple answer here - I enjoy it. And if I enjoy it, I hope others will too. Seems to work!


4. How does my writing process work?
It varies. Practically the whole story of Seducing Amanda came to me in one burst of creativity one afternoon. I wrote the first draft very quickly, then spent time redrafting and editing until I was happy to send it off. Vienna Valentine started with a desire to set a book here. This city is so inspirational. I think there's something in the air!
 
I rarely put pen to paper. Everything, from beginning to end, is accomplished on my computer. I redraft, redraft, redraft, until I'm happy with it.


Freya's Choice began as an idea of using the most famous of Norse goddesses in a contemporary setting in the place you would least expect to find her - a typical English country village, where nothing much has happened in the last fifty years. Her impact means that nothing will ever be quite the same there ever again.

Now I have written - and rewritten - this story, I have put it aside for a month. When I return to it, I will revisit it with fresh eyes. Then I can see if any challenges remain before I rake up the courage to send it back to that lovely publisher.


 

OK, now all I have to do is tag three more authors who will tell you all about their writing processes on their blogs next week:

Ute Carbone


Ute (who pronounces her name Oooh-tah) Carbone is an award winning author of women’s fiction, comedy, and romance. She and her husband live in New Hampshire, where she spends her days walking, eating chocolate and dreaming up stories.

Books and Stories by Ute Carbone:









 For more about Ute and her books, please visit:


Blog:                






 
Ally Shields

Ally Shields was born and raised in the Midwest, along the Mississippi River, and considers herself a "river rat." The setting and folklore of that area are often incorporated into her urban fantasy series. After a career in law and juvenile justice, she turned to full-time writing in 2009, and Awakening the Fire, the debut novel in her Guardian Witch series, was released by Etopia Press in September 2012. When not writing, reading or spending time with family, she loves to travel in the US and abroad. Way too often she can be found on Twitter.
For more about Ally and her books, please visit:

Website: 

Crystal Donahue 

Crystal Donahue has been fortunate to live all over the US, including but not limited to Arizona, Hawaii, and Georgia. She currently resides near the Iowa/Illinois border with her tornado obsessed son and their mischievous cat, Brownie. She is a procrastinator of epic proportions, finds humor in almost everything, loves sarcasm and loathes washing dishes.

A 2004 graduate of Western Illinois University, Crystal has held several unique jobs including driving a Zamboni and being a relay operator for the hearing and speech impaired. While working as a claims adjuster she realized life is too short not to do something that makes you happy and returned to school to study nursing. Between work and raising her son she somehow manages to find time to write too, usually to the detriment of her social life. Fortunately her friends and family rock so it isn't much of an issue...yet.
 
For more about Crystal and her books, please visit:

 
Website:
Blog:
Facebook:
Twitter:
Goodreads:

2 comments: