Friday, 12 October 2012

Haunting Nights with C.P. Foster



I am delighted to welcome Paranormal Erotic Romance writer, C.P. Foster, author of the spooky and sensual Night of Seduction, included in the Halloween Heat III anthology just published by Etopia Press.

Antonia:  Welcome C.P.. Firstly, I loved Night of Seduction. I live in a haunted house myself but none of my ghosts has ever done anything remotely resembling yours. I’m quite jealous of Olivia, your main character. She’s a very lucky girl! Is this your first published story?

C.P.:  Thanks! This is my second published story. The first one is Partners, which was also recently released by Etopia.

I think Olivia is lucky, too, but her luck is a little mixed. She finds this fascinating person, but can only be with him one night a year. Night of Seduction is actually the first of a five part series that has just been published as a separate anthology on October 12th. The idea was originally a single story that takes place some years after Night of Seduction, but some of my beta readers wanted to know how Olivia and her ghost first met. In my head, there was a lot more to the story, so I asked Etopia if they’d be interested in a series of shorts that told all of it. I was really excited when they said yes. So, we get to see how Olivia’s relationship with her ghost develops, and how difficult it is to fall in love with someone when you have so little time to be with him.

Antonia:  I’m really pleased about this. When I read Night of Seduction, I felt there was room for much more of Olivia’s story and now we’ll be able to read it. Looking forward to that! Now, I’m interested in finding out about you. Tell us a bit more about yourself

C.P.:  I’ve lived in Seattle most of my life, and I love it here. I’ve been a pagan for over 20 years, and we have a large and diverse pagan community. I’ve also been into BDSM for nearly as long, and Seattle has one of the biggest BDSM communities around. The Center for Sex Positive Culture is an amazing organization founded in Seattle, which promotes acceptance of all forms of sexuality, including BDSM. It’s hard for me to imagine living anywhere else.

I’ve been writing since I was a little girl—my first story was a Nancy Drew fanfic. Mostly, I’ve written for myself until now, though I did post a few fanfic stories (not Nancy Drew!) a while back. Partners was the first thing I’ve submitted in years.

Antonia:  What drew you to writing paranormal erotic fiction?

C.P.:  I’ve always been a big fan of fantasy. I’m not sure why. My favourite books as a kid were things like the Narnia series, A Wrinkle in Time, and The Hobbit. Maybe I just like to live in other worlds where so much more is possible. I guess it’s natural that I’d gravitate toward that sort of thing in my own writing.

Antonia: Yes, I can see that it would. Now, what would you say makes a great main character?

C.P.:  The character needs to be someone you want to hang out with for the length of the story. That doesn’t mean they have to be nice, but that you find them interesting enough to stick around. They need flaws, of course; perfection is boring, not to mention annoying. They have to want something badly enough that they’re willing to overcome obstacles in order to get it. And the reader has to be able to relate to them in some way. Hmm...maybe that’s why some of my favourite characters are so snarky.

Antonia: What is your favourite/least favourite thing about writing?

C.P.:  I love to immerse myself in a fantasy. To be honest, I live in my own head most of the time. My stories almost always start out as some fantasy scenario that’s stuck in my mind, and I like to expand on that scenario, build a whole story around it that gives it depth and makes it even more compelling. I also get into doing research for whatever I’m writing. For instance, I got a real kick out of finding Victorian slang for sex with the Night series.

My least favourite thing is when I don’t feel inspired, but need to write anyway. It can be like pulling teeth.

Antonia:  What/who do you like to read?

C.P.:  Urban fantasy is my favourite genre. I love Jim Butcher’s Dresden series and Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake series. I also read a lot of mystery and detective novels. I think I’ve read everything Robert B. Parker has written. Right now I’m reading Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum books. I’m also re-reading all of the Thieves’ World books.

Antonia:  What is the strangest thing that has ever happened to you?

C.P.:  Holy cow, how do I choose?!  My life is full of strange. If you’re talking about the paranormal, I did have one really creepy experience. About 20 years ago I moved into a new apartment. In the middle of the night I woke up and was absolutely certain someone was in the room with me. It was pitch dark and I couldn’t see anything. It scared the hell out of me. I calmed myself down as much as I could and talked to whoever it was, saying (very politely!) that this was my home now and I needed them to leave. Eventually the feeling went away. It never happened again.

Antonia: Very creepy! What do you do when you’re not writing?

C.P.:  I’ve been doing a lot of art lately, and I’m also into acting and directing for ritual dramas at pagan festivals. I spend a lot of time with my husband. Whenever I have the opportunity, I love taking long road trips. And, of course, I read.

Antonia:  What are you currently working on and what can we expect to see from you in the near future?

C.P.:  Well, there’s the Five Haunting Nights anthology, just out today, October 12th.


At the moment, I’m working on a short story for a non-profit anthology. It’s about 10% plot and 90% sex, LOL. I’ve also got a really long vampire novel that I finished a few months ago and am shopping around in hopes that someone will pick it up. Then there’s another paranormal romance novel that I started a couple of months ago. I got side-tracked from it when I got the contract for the Night stories, but hope I can get back to it soon.

Antonia: We’ve got a lot to look forward to! Finally, a fun question. Imagine you have won a two week holiday for you and three other people, real of fictitious, living or dead but the catch is they cannot be your actual friends and family. You can go anywhere in the world and have any type of holiday you choose. Who would you take with you and why? Where would you go? What would you do?

C.P.:  That’s a tough one...I’d really like to go to Greece someday and explore all of the old ruins, especially the temples. I’d take Methos from the Highlander TV series because he’s 5,000 years old and could tell me all sorts of things about what it was really like in ancient times. I keep thinking I’d like to give poor Harry Dresden a vacation because he needs the rest, but gods know what kind of trouble he’d get me into. And Tallulah Bankhead. That woman knew how to party, and talk about snarky...she’d be a blast.

Antonia:  I reckon you’ll be having a helluva good time on that holiday! Now, how can we connect with you?

C.P.:  I’ve just started a blog at www.cpfosterauthor.wordpress.com, and plan to post a short-short story there every week. I’m also on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-C-P-Foster-Aphrodites-Writer/287293758037990) and on Twitter (https://twitter.com/CPFoster1). 

Antonia:  Thank you for being my guest today, C.P.. It’s been great getting to know you and good luck with your writing!

C.P.:  Thank you, Antonia! This has been fun!

Halloween Heat III is available from All Romance Books Amazon Barnes and Noble or wherever you normally buy your ebooks
You can buy Partners at Amazon  Barnes and Noble  All Romance Books and other online booksellers


Five Haunting Nights is available from: Amazon  Barnes and Noble and other online booksellers

No comments:

Post a Comment